ENFORCEMENT notices have been served after more than 1,000 tonnes of restricted material was found at a waste site.
Following complaints from people living in Addlethorpe, Lincolnshire County Council and the Environment Agency launched an investigation into Bowman’s Waste Ltd who operate a waste processing site on Bowman’s Business Park.
The Environment Agency received 10 odour complaints between June 20 and July 22 and the authority later confirmed the odours were from a large amount of bagged household waste that had been collected from caravan parks.
Bowman’s Waste Ltd is restricted to process certain waste types but not household and food waste.
An inspection by the Environment Agency confirmed there were more than 1,000 tonnes of waste within the building and the odours were at such a level, they breached the permit.
A joint inspections by the Environment Agency, Lincolnshire County Council and the Health and Safety Executive was carried out on September 5 which showed there was a large amount of household waste in black bags, with a strong odour and a vast number of flies. The waste was around 1,272 tonnes.
Steam was seen coming off some of the bagged waste, with even more flies in the southern part of the building.
The inspection confirmed that the odours were at an unacceptable level which presented a significant harm to the amenity of the area.
A breach of condition notice with no appeal has been served, ordering Bowman Waste Ltd to stop depositing and processing unauthorised wastes within 28 days and to remove the waste in 10 weeks.
A separate breach enforcement notice has also been served relating to works starting from 7am – the site is restricted to an 8am start.
Lincolnshire County Councillor Colin Davie said: “The county council has a duty along with its partner agencies to ensure when planning permission is granted, the conditions are enforced vigorously to protect the residents of Addlethorpe.”
Kenneth Ellis, from Bowman Waste Ltd told the Target: “The planning issues with both Addlethorpe Parish Council and Lincolnshire County Council go back to January when we were given permission for our plans for the site, only for this to be then taken away in due course.
“This is being dealt with by our planning and legal representatives.”