Login Register

Boston landlord failed to ensure his tenants' safety

By MarieW  |  Posted: January 30, 2013

Comments (0)

FAILURE to ensure tenants' safety in a Boston home has resulted in the prosecution of two landlords by Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue

Brothers Motiur Rahman, 42, and Ashikur Rahman, 38, were each found guilty on six counts of breaching the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order and were fined more than £5,000.

Under the legislation, landlords and managing agents must be able to demonstrate that they have carried out a thorough process to identify fire risks in their property, think about how these may affect guests and tenants, and make sure people know what to do in case of fire.

But, safety measures were so lax in the unlicensed house of multiple occupation that all the occupants on the upper floors had no means of escape.

Concerns about the property at 23 Liquorpond Street, Boston, were raised by a worried tenant, who contacted Boston Borough Council. An investigation involving Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue was quickly launched.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue's community fire protection manager, Keiron Davey, says: "Landlords and owners of properties used as houses of multiple occupation should take notice of the outcome of this case, which has sent a clear message about their responsibilities.

"We always strive to work closely with landlords to help them with their statutory duties, but where their responsibilities are not taken seriously, and people are put at risk of death or serious injury, we will consider prosecution.

"This case is a clear demonstration of how we can apply the law to help ensure the safety of our communities."

* Landlords and business owners who would like advice on following fire safety legislation can contact Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue on 01522 582222.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES