A CAMPAIGN has been started against plans for what would be one of the biggest housing developments Louth has seen in a decade.
Residents living in the Kestrel Drive area have called for a meeting with East Lindsey planning officers to express their views against plans by Taylor Wimpey for 149 new homes off Fulmar Drive.
One of the residents spearheading the campaign is Simon Tighe.
"We were completely unaware that the application had been submitted until we read the town council's support of it in the Target," he said. "From there, I put out flyers and the objections raised from around three to 83 in just about five days.
"A lot of the residents were not aware about the submission as there is only one yellow notice and most haven't had consultation letters. The ones who have had letters said they arrived following the town council's decision.
"There is a lot of objection. We arranged a meeting with our councillor Laura Stephenson and around 55 people attended with just a day's notice.
"The concerns include traffic safety issues."
Mr Tighe added: "This is the biggest single housing development for Louth for 10 years.
"The junction with Brackenborough Road is already dangerous and the traffic assessment conducted was based on 120 homes and prior to the 70 homes being built on Brackenborough Road."
The developers did hold a pre-consultation meeting about the plans and claimed that people were supportive in principle, a claim disputed by Mr Tighe.
He has gathered a 150-name petition and hopes to get more support before planners make their recommendation.
In response, Roger Smith from Savills, planning developer for the project, said: "On the basis of the public consultation event at the Trinity Centre on March 15, most local residents who discussed the proposals with the Taylor Wimpey team accepted the principle of development, but were very concerned about the traffic that would be generated by the new housing.
"Additional issues raised included the capacity of local schools to accommodate additional pupils and the increased risk of flooding.
"The planning application was submitted in July 2012, but the supporting technical reports including the transport assessment were prepared earlier in the year. Traffic surveys were undertaken outside school holiday periods. The transport assessment is based on 149 houses and in addition also provides for the residential development of circa seventy dwellings on Brackenborough Road."
The application is expected to be considered by district councillors in October.
To sign the petition or find out more about the meeting, email email@example.com