Login Register

Convicted rapist carried out knifepoint attack while on day release

By Lincolnshire Echo  |  Posted: December 13, 2013

Convicted rapist carried out knifepoint attack while on day release

Convicted rapist carried out knifepoint attack while on day release

Comments (2)

A convicted rapist on day release from prison went on to carry out a terrifying knifepoint sex attack after disappearing from his work placement during his lunch hour, Lincoln Crown Court heard.

Nicky Suddons was carrying out painting and decorating work on a church property in the centre of Grantham while serving a life sentence at North Sea Camp open jail.

David Outterside, prosecuting, told a jury that Suddons left the project during a lunch break and made his way through Grantham to the town's Queen Elizabeth Park.

He then lay in wait in a wooded area before confronting a middle-aged dog walker as she made her way along a footpath.

Suddons, who was wearing a black mask and armed with a craft knife, stood just three feet from the woman who fell to the ground after becoming tangled in her dog's lead.

She screamed, ignoring Suddons' demand not to do so, and then her dog barked and lunged at Suddons who fled the scene.

Two passers-by went to the aid of the woman including a cyclist who set off after Suddons and stopped him near to the park exit.

The man accompanied Suddons back to the scene and despite his denials Suddons was arrested after police carried out a check and discovered he was a convicted sex offender.

Mr Outterside said that Suddons carefully planned the attack taking a balaclava, rubber gloves, a knife and condoms with him to the park.

He told the jury: "What was on his mind was rape. This time he was prepared and was absolutely determined not to be caught. He thought he could get clean away with it but he was caught red-handed."

Suddons, 26, formerly of Abbey Hey, Manchester, denied attempt rape on June 28 but was convicted by the jury after less than an hour's deliberations.

He admitted to the jury that he attacked the woman but denied having any sexual intent. He claimed he wanted to "control" her.

The jury was told he was jailed for life at Manchester Crown Court in September 2005 after admitting one rape and six sexual assaults involving attacks on seven women and girls in East Manchester during 2004.

He said he had changed since the earlier offences and was now a different man.

Judge Sean Morris remanded him custody for the preparation of a psychiatric report and an assessment of the danger he poses to women. He will be sentenced at a later date.

The Justice Secretary, Chris Grayling, has promised a full investigation into the case.

In a statement he said: "This is a truly horrifying case and one that needs to be investigated thoroughly. I have already asked my officials to review how this scheme is working across the country and for the Chief Inspector of Prisons to look into how temporary release was granted in three cases earlier this year.

"I'm determined to get to the bottom of what went wrong and to take forward any lessons learnt from the reviews I have commissioned. In future when people are released on temporary licence I want to see them tagged so we can better monitor where they are and where they have been.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • 4caster  |  December 13 2013, 5:55PM

    At last the Justice Secretary is taking these cases seriously.

    Rate   4
    Report
  • Roadscource  |  December 13 2013, 2:30PM

    From this story I can conclude 3 things: 1. A rapist cannot be reformed into a normal citizen by sending then to prison. 2. A rapist is not suitable for day release. 3. It would be more cost effective to the taxpayer to sentence criminals to day release from their own homes rather than North Sea Camp as their own home is probably more secure.

    Rate   3
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES

       
       
       

      MOST POPULAR