Login Register
 °

Crash kills Kenyan minister probing Lincolnshire aristocrat's death

By Lincolnshire Echo  |  Posted: June 15, 2012

Killed: Alexander Monson

Killed: Alexander Monson

Comments (0)

An investigation into the death of a Lincolnshire aristocrat's son has stalled after a top Kenyan minister died in mysterious circumstances.

Kenyan Internal Security Minister, professor George Saitoti, was one of six people killed when his helicopter went down west of Nairobi on June 10.

The country is currently on a 'high' terrorism alert and foul play has not been ruled out.

The minister, who was a front-runner to win the forthcoming Kenyan presidential election, had been overseeing the investigation into the death of Alexander Monson, 28, who died last month in police custody.

Related content

Alexander was arrested for smoking cannabis outside a bar near his mother's home in the coastal resort of Diani, south of Mombasa.

Police claimed Alexander's death was the result of complications from taking drugs, but an independent pathologist revealed that he had suffered a massive blow to the head and had bruising on his groin and left hand.

Alexander's father Nicholas Monson, the 12th Lord Monson of Burton and the 16th Baronet of Carlton, had previously met with Mr Saitoti and had received assurances that justice would be served for his son and heir.

Following a national three-day mourning period, authorities will now seek to appoint a new Internal Security Minister, which is expected to delay the investigation by several weeks.

Lord Monson, whose family estate covers 1,200 acres across South Carlton, told the Echo: "I've spoken with the personal secretary of the commissioner of police and following the tragedy of professor Saitoti, the focus is now on finding someone to replace him.

"I was told rather worryingly that I shouldn't expect any further action for at least another two weeks.

"Quite clearly, the investigation is too thorny for people at the bottom to deal with."

A team of specialist Kenyan police officers have so far interrogated 20 witnesses following the death of Alexander.

CID boss Mwendwa Ethiaba told Kenyan newspaper The Star that those questioned include the police officers on duty the night Alexander was in the cells.

The officers have been removed from the Diani station and deployed in other roles in the Kenyan police force.

Kenyan authorities are still waiting to receive a report regarding Alexander's death as officers now want to interview other members of the Monson family.

But Lord Monson believes this is just a stalling tactic.

He said: "It's completely irrelevant to the case and it's just a form of stonewalling and a matter of buying time.

"I'm just trying to focus now on getting the police officers I believe committed the act of torture towards my son arrested and charged."

The Foreign Office has now also called for a full investigation into Alexander's death.

A spokesman said: "We are in close contact with the Kenyan authorities and have pressed for an urgent and full investigation."

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Adrian1208  |  June 15 2012, 9:37PM

    What a surprise????? I do hope the family get justice for Alexander Monson............. It doesn't bring Alexander back to the Monson family, thats the sad thing..............

    |   1

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES