Login Register

Dave's tactics are red hot despite the winter chill affecting anglers

By Lincolnshire Echo  |  Posted: December 06, 2012

Winner: Dave Taylor was in excellent form in the Windmill Tackle Open

Comments (0)

Windmill Tackle open

Seventeen anglers braved the cold last Saturday to fish the latest match in this series which was held on Priory Lake Two.

Although there was no ice on the water, the conditions were bitterly cold and the water was only just above freezing point.

The best weight on the day went to Dave Taylor (Windmill Tackle) at peg 70.

Taylor switched between pellet and maggot on the hook on the long pole.

He caught three carp and a chub and the scales finally settled at 12lb 14oz.

Ray Pauley was the runner-up on this occasion from peg 88.

The Ruskington rod fished the method feeder and he caught two carp for a final tally of 9lb 14oz.

Peg 114 saw last week's winner Edgar Purnell finish in third spot.

Purnell also fished red maggot on the pole and his weight of 9lb 8oz was enough for third on the day.

John Cullis (Leasingham) is enjoying some decent form and luck and he was fourth overall at peg 78.

He caught a bream and a carp in the last ten minutes of the match on red maggot for 9lb 7oz.

Ruskington Open Match

Moon Lake at Tattershall hosted the latest match in this series the Sunday before last and in total ten anglers braved the elements.

Dean Smith ended a productive weekend by taking the honours in this match too.

This win followed his win from the day before on the Fossdyke Canal.

Smith (Lincoln Whisby AS) drew well on the day when he pulled noted Lawn Peg 29 from the bag.

He fished the long pole with pellet and the method feeder with polony for a winning 58lb 4oz.

Team-mate Mark Bond took the runner-up spot on this occasion.

Bond (Lincoln Whisby AS) also drew noted peg 27 where he opted to fish pellet on the long pole.

He eventually put 25lb 12oz of carp onto the scales to secure second place in the match.

Steve Reid (Garbolino RAF) was drawn at peg five and he was third on the day.

Reid fished red maggot at six and 11m which caught him skimmers that eventually weighed in at 18lb 6oz.

Dave Daniels was fourth overall at peg six.

Daniels (Ruskington) fished double corn on the bomb for three carp that totalled 14lb 10oz.

Sunday's match is again planned for Moon Lake and if anyone wants to fish they can contact Barry Gadsby on 01400 273384.

LDAA Knock Up

Again, with no matches planned on the local canals or rivers, a hastily arranged knock up was sorted out for a group of eight local anglers.

They decided to hold a match on the Fossdyke Canal on the West Common behind the Grandstand.

The canal was a good colour, but was running hard.

This meant the weights were again on the low side with most anglers resorting to fishing the feeder or pole feeder.

The winner for the second match on the trot was Lincoln rod Paul Wilson at peg four.

Wilson fished the pole feeder with maggot on the hook and he had a small roach and a bonus skimmer of over a pound which gave him a final total of 1lb 5oz.

Hot on his heels was Malcolm Firmstone at end peg two.

Firmstone managed to snare half a dozen small roach on bread, but they weighed just shy as the scales settled at 1lb 4oz.

Steve Gilbert (Lincoln Whisby AS) finished in third spot from peg 16.

Gilbert also caught half a dozen small roach on the pole and they weighed in at 12oz.

Whisby Saturday Series

The fourth match in this series took place last Saturday on a very cold Lake One at Whisby Garden Centre.

The winner on the day was once again the in-form Tom Acar who drew the noted peg one.

Acar fished polony on the feeder on the far side of the lake and his modest weight of 18lb 9oz was enough to give him victory.

Match organiser Keith Hage also kept up his recent good run by finishing as the runner-up on this occasion.

Hage also fished polony on the hook as he fished the feeder to the far bank for 8lb 8oz from peg six.

Trace Benson had a straight 6lb to finish in third spot.

It is very close in the aggregate league with Keith Hage currently out in front.

Tom Acar and Steve Gibbons are giving chase whilst Trace Benson is currently lying in fourth place.

Ruskington Knock Up

The temperature hit minus four overnight and due to Moon Lake at Tattershall being partly frozen over it was decided to cancel the planned Winter League match on the Sunday and to hold a knock up on the parts of the lake that had escaped the frost.

In total there were nine anglers that stayed on to fish this match.

Lincoln Whisby AS ace Dean Smith was victorious on the day from his draw at peg 21.

Smith fished pellet on the pole and his catch of mainly skimmers took the scales to 12lb 12oz.

Nathan Underwood (Windmill Tackle) was the bridesmaid on this occasion.

Underwood was drawn at peg 18 where he also fished pellet on the pole.

His weight of 11lb 4oz was easily enough to secure second place.

Paul Underwood (Windmill Tackle) was on end peg one and he finished third on the day.

Underwood senior fished maggot down the edge where he caught perch and an ide for 4lb 8oz.

Ruskington rod Ray Pauley was fourth with just 3lb 15oz at peg 29 which he took on red maggot.

Harrisons Tackle AC

New members are being asked to join the Harrisons Tackle Angling Club for 2013.

If anyone is interested or requires further information they can contact shop proprietor Stewart Millar on 01522 523834.

Rushfield Open

Ten anglers braved the elements last Wednesday to fish this match.

Again, the conditions were bitterly cold with ice forming in the margins and staying there all day.

It seems Dean Smith is unstoppable at the moment and he duly won this match.

Smith (Lincoln Whisby AS) had drawn well when he pulled end peg two out of the hat.

He then fished polony and maggot on the feeder where he caught four carp for a final weight of 16lb 8oz.

His excellent catch was more than double of any other angler. Second was Hykeham rod Keith Barton at peg 20. Barton fished maggot on the feeder for 8lb 4oz.

Ruskington angler Phil Clarke was third overall.

Clarke caught two carp on the pole and one on the feeder which all fell to maggot for a final tally of 8lb.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters