Login Register

Gainsborough man found guilty of attempted murder

By LWallace_LE  |  Posted: October 16, 2012

Lincoln Crown Court

Comments (0)

A Gainsborough man has today been found guilty of trying to murder his former girlfriend just hours after he was spared jail for harassing her.
Paul Henry, 46, was given a suspended sentence after he went to Claire Boswell's home in Gainsborough and threatened to kill her.
After Henry was freed from Lincoln Magistrates Court he phoned Miss Boswell, 44, saying "I'm out", broke into her house and tried to stab her to death.
Henry now faces being jailed indefinitely after a jury at Lincoln Crown Court found him guilty of attempting to murder Miss Boswell by an 11-1 majority verdict.
Adjourning sentence until November, Judge Micheal Heath told Henry he needed a report from the probation service to help consider the level of danger he posed.
Judge Heath warned Henry: "I am considering passing an indeterminate sentence for public protection."
Robert Underwood, prosecuting, said Miss Boswell, a mother of three, had been harassed by Henry for three or four years before he stabbed her on September 15, 2011.
The jury was told Miss Boswell retreated into her daughter's bedroom after Henry used a plant pot to break in. 
But Henry clambered over the bed towards Miss Boswell with a knife taken from her kitchen, and thrust that knife to the right side of her chest.
Mr Underwood said Henry had been to Miss Boswell's home the previous weekend and climbed onto her roof before saying he intended to kill her.
Henry was arrested on September 14, for breaching a restraining order which had been made to prevent him harassing Miss Boswell, and appeared before magistrates in Lincoln the following day.
He was given an eight-week sentence but this was suspended.
After leaving court he retrieved some possessions from a police station in West Parade, Lincoln, and telephoned Miss Boswell from a call box opposite the station.
"She answered, but the caller, this defendant, remained silent," Mr Underwood said. 
"A little later he rang Claire Boswell again. He was using a mobile phone.
"When she answered that call this defendant said to her 'I'm out'."
Jurors heard Mr Henry went to Miss Boswell's house in Glentham Road, Gainsborough, at about 5.15 the same day after taking a train from Lincoln. 
When interviewed by police, he admitted breaking into her house and getting a knife from her kitchen, but said he just intended to sit down and talk to her.
But Mr Underwood said Henry ran upstairs after Miss Boswell, swearing and shouting: "I'm going to kill you."
Mr Underwood added: "He went into the bedroom where Claire Boswell was. She was pressing an alarm button that the authorities had provided for her on an earlier occasion."
Miss Boswell then dialled 999 and was heard shouting during the call: "Help! Get out!""Mr Henry was simply not deterred," said Mr Underwood.
"He clambered over the bed towards Claire Boswell, knife still in hand, and he thrust that knife to the right side of her chest."
The wound penetrated her breast tissue and injured her liver, causing her life threatening injuries. She suffered a pierced liver and was taken to Lincoln Hospital, then transferred to Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham where she remained for five days.
Henry later told police: "I didn't want to kill her or owt like that.
The jury were told Henry had a string of previous convictions for violence, including grievous bodily harm, assault and using a knife to cut the fingers of a male relative of his then girlfriend.
Henry, formerly of Lea Place, Gainsborough, was remanded into custody and will be sentenced on November 9.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Adrian1208  |  October 17 2012, 12:09AM

    This poor woman can now rest after 3/4yrs of harassment, knowing that this dangerous man is behind bars for some considerable time and hopefully for decades...

    |   5