Login Register

Halifax Town 3 Gainsborough Trinity 1

By Lincolnshire Echo  |  Posted: December 26, 2012

Comments (0)

Two former Gainsborough Trinity men combined to cause their downfall on a dismal day in Halifax.

Liam Needham and Ryan Toulsan were instrumental in their side's third goal of this Boxing Day encounter, to kill off any remaining Christmas cheer in the Trinity ranks.

Steve Housham's play-off chasing side had no answers to high-flying Halifax who bossed the second half to take all three points in the Blue Square North clash.

There were four changes to the Trinity side which lost to Stalybridge Celtic on Saturday. Mark Wilson and Terry Hawkridge came into the midfield for Craig Nelthorpe and Jamie Yates, while at the back Luke Waterfall replaced the injured Greg Young.

Up front, Bradley Barraclough was preferred to Trinity's leading scorer Dominic Knowles.

Kick-off at the Shay coincided with the arrival of heavy rain, but Trinity were first to attack through Terry Hawkridge who found Darryn Stamp in an offside position just two minutes in.

Halifax then ruined Steve Housham's Boxing Day with the opening goal after just seven minutes.

Trinity failed to clear their lines and Jon Worthington fired home from ten yards out.

But, in a frantic start to the game, it was all square five minutes later when a raid down the right saw Hawkridge fire a low, hard cross to Darryn Stamp and the striker had a touch of fortune to score against his old team.

A glorious chip over the last defender from Hawkridge almost put Barraclough in, but Glennon was quick off his line to smother the ball.

After 21 minutes, Trinity should have taken the lead.

Hawkridge played the ball back to Roma on the right wing and he put in a first-time cross. However Barraclough's diving header was just wide of the Halifax goal.

Stamp was proving to be a threat against the Halifax defence with an array of touches and flicks to put his team-mates in.

One such touch, off his chest, put Hawkridge in on the left flank, but the midfielder was surrounded and the move broke down on the edge of the Halifax area.

A relatively drab half was livened up when Barraclough went on a run and forced his way into the Halifax box, but his shot was blocked.

At the other end Garreth Seddon was through on goal but his touch let him down and Budtz rescued Trinity.

But there was to be another goal in the first half, Toulson put in a corking cross which Lee Gregory headed home with the last touch of the first half as Halifax went in at the break with a somewhat fortunate 2-1 lead.

Halifax started the second half better and were 3-1 ahead after 14 minutes. Good work from Needham on the left found another former Blue Ryan Toulson who scored with a well placed shot into the corner from 18 yards.

Trinity fought back and almost got a second when Stamp's header had the keeper beaten, but it struck the foot of the post after 75 minutes.

There was a good shout for a Trinity penalty two minutes from time, but it was not to be as the Blues suffered a Boxing Day knockout.

Halifax Town: Glennon, Toulson, McManus, Hogan, Jarrett, Lowe, Worthington, Needham, Worsley (Bolland 45), Gregory (Gardner 84), Seddon (Johnson 64). Subs not used: Senior, Johnson, Marshall.

Gainsborough Trinity: Budtz, Roma, Wilde, Hone, Waterfall, Leary, D'Laryea, Wilson (Yates 63), Barraclough (Knowles 63) Stamp (Connor 76), Hawkridge. Subs not used: Williams, Nelthorpe.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters