Lincoln City boss Gary Simpson has welcomed FIFA’s decision to extend the emergency loan window into next season.
Football’s world governing body had previously said it would scrap the window which allowed clubs like Lincoln City loan players between the start of September and the end of November and from the start of February to the end of March.
However, they have decided to keep it until the 2014/15 season.
It is a relief to Simpson, who believes that relying on only bringing players in during the transfer windows in the summer and January would be a detriment to clubs lower down the football pyramid.
“If they did close it, it would put a lot of pressure on smaller clubs,” said Simpson, who has brought in Chris Sharp from Hereford and Marlon Jackson from Bury on loan deals this winter.
“You would need to get your recruitment spot-on, there would be a massive onus on that.
“It would put added pressure on the finances of a club as you would have to try and build a bigger squad than maybe you can really afford as you would need to have cover.”
The Imps are without a game on Saturday as their scheduled opponents Macclesfield are involved in FA Cup action.
City are due back in action on Tuesday night, with Gateshead the visitors to Sincil Bank. However, that game hinges on whether Gateshead do not have to replay their own FA Cup clash against Oxford United.