Login Register
 °

Neighbours save couple's Lincoln home after arson attack on outhouse

By Lincolnshire Echo  |  Posted: October 22, 2012

  • Gutted: David Bungay by the outbuilding at his home in Boultham Park Road which was targeted by arsonists

  • Aftermath: All that remains of the outbuilding

Comments (0)

Quick-thinking neighbours saved a couple's house from being razed to the ground after they spotted an outhouse on fire.

David Bungay and Amanda Noble were away when the annex to their home was gutted in an arson attack in the middle of the night.

But residents saw the flames coming from the property in Boultham Park Road, Lincoln, and raised the alarm.

The couple, who have lived there since June, now wish to thank all those who helped save the house.

Mr Bungay, 45, a care worker, is urging anyone with information to call the police.

He said: "Someone has got into the shed at the bottom of the garden and jemmied open the door, taking a blue Townsend ladies mountain bike and a dark green gents mountain bike and some fishing gear.

"I just don't understand why they have then set fire to the annex.

"We used it as a utility room and a store room and there was a bathroom in there, too.

"After the fire we had to get a plumber and an electrician out because we had no heating and no lighting.

"There's not a lot of information for the police to go on.

"So, if anyone knows anything about it or hears anyone talking about it then I would ask them to call the police.

"We have stepped up our security and I want other people in Lincoln to be aware of what happened to us and to make their homes more secure.

"The worrying thing is that my 11-year-old daughter and her cousin had a sleepover in the annex recently – they didn't want to camp in the garden so they slept in there."

Miss Noble, 35, who works with children with special needs, said: "We were lucky that neighbours spotted the fire because otherwise the whole house could have gone up."

Neighbour Ray Newman, 68, a retired city council house maintenance worker, said he had been woken by his security light coming on during the incident.

"I looked out of the window and I thought it was foggy," he said.

"Then two lads knocked on my front door to say there was a fire and my neighbour on the other side called the fire brigade.

"The amount of smoke was unbelievable. Their whole house could have gone up – mine as well."

Anyone with information about the incident, which happened at about 3.30am on October 6, should call Lincolnshire Police on 101.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES