A Sleaford pet owner who arrived home to find her cat had been shot has branded the culprit's actions as ‘pure evil’.
Vikki Starkess has paid out £450 in vets bills after her cat Kahn was hit by a gun pellet.
She left her home at Boundary Pastures just before midday yesterday – but came back four hours later to find Kahn was distressed and in pain.
Vets were forced to cut through Kahn’s stomach and even search through his intestines for internal bleeding, but couldn’t find the bullet.
It narrowly missed the cat’s vital organs, but remains lodged inside his body.
Kahn, who is a rescue cat, is still seriously ill and at risk of lead poisoning.
“It makes you feel sick right down to your stomach that someone could harm an animal like that,” owner Vikki Starkess said.
“If your animal gets hit by a car or natural disease it is heart-breaking, but it is life. You don’t expect someone to shoot your cat.
“It is just pure evil.
“His saving grace was that he was a bit on the porky side.
“They are hoping if it stays lodged in a piece of fat there will be a minimal chance of lead poisoning.
“So far it has cost me £450. That is before we go back for check-ups, stitches and any further medicine.”
Vikki and her fiancé have had to dip into their wedding savings to fund Kahn's vetinary bills.
She now hopes other pet owners in the area will stay vigilant and check their pets for small pellet wounds if they become unwell.
“There is no blood and the wounds are so clean,” Vikki said.
“If you say a cat has been shot you expect a big bullet wound and pouring blood, but it just isn’t. If it is left too late there is nothing they can do.
“It goes in and sits there, and potentially they can end up with lead poisoning."
She added: “Don’t do it to any other poor animal. Put yourself in their position, they have done nothing wrong and know no different.”