Login Register

Paedophile 'killed himself in Lincolnshire after not being allowed to return home'

By Lincolnshire Echo  |  Posted: September 17, 2012

Lincoln Cathedral Centre

A convicted paedophile killed himself after being told he could not return to his former home following release from jail, an inquest heard.

Former lorry driver Alan Rogers, 52, had twice been jailed for offences involving teenage girls.

After completing his latest sentence he was told he had to live in a hostel rather than return to his former home in Cadeby, Leicestershire.

An inquest at Lincoln Cathedral Centre was told that Rogers was released from Lincoln Prison in March this year. He was reported missing after failing to arrive at the Howard House hostel in Leicester.

He lived rough and later hanged himself. His decomposed body was discovered a month after his release in a field off Potterhanworth Road, Heighington.

The inquest was told that dog walker John Punton, found the body hanging from the roof beam of a disused horse shelter.

Debris scattered around the shelter, including bedding, discarded beer cans and the remains of a fire, indicated Rogers had been living in the field.

A suicide note was scrawled on the wall using charcoal from the fire embers.

Detective Sergeant Jenny Waddington of Lincolnshire Police, who investigated the death, said: "It would appear that Mr Rogers had been deceased for some time.

"There was evidence at the scene that indicated he had been living in the shelter.

"He was a convicted sex offender. In 1996 he was convicted of a number of offences.

"He was made the subject of a risk of sexual harm order and in September 2011 at Leicester Crown Court he was convicted of breaching that on two occasions."

Rogers initially served his sentence at Leicester Prison but was later transferred to Lincoln from where he was released on March 14.

Inquiries showed that later that morning he made a phone call asking to go back to his former home but was refused.

Probation officer Teresa Lappage said "He said that if he could not go back to his previous home and work with horses then his life was not worth living."

She said that within days of details of Rogers' proposed release, the woman who lived in the property where he hoped to stay was attacked by four men. As a result Rogers was told he had to live at Howard House following his release.

West Lincolnshire deputy coroner Paul Smith recorded a verdict of suicide on Rogers whose body was found on April 15, this year.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo