Restrictions are beginning to be lifted after Legionella bacteria was found in the water at sheltered housing in Lincoln.
Elderly people who live at St Botolph's Court, off High Street, were warned not to drink or use their tap water after the bacteria which can be deadly to the vulnerable was detected during routine tests.
Initial laboratory tests on water samples show that the work to disinfect the water system has been succesfull and the City of Lincoln Council has begun to lift restrictions on use of the water supply following chemical disinfection & flushing of the water system.
Residents will now be able to use the water system for washing, bathing and food preparation but restrictions on use of showers will continue for the next few days.
John Bibby - Director of Housing and Community Services at the City of Lincoln Council, said: "Residents of the sheltered accommodation were kept fully informed throughout the cleansing process and have been co-operative and supportive of the decisions we made.
"We supplied more than 2,500 bottles of water to be used for drinking, food preparation and general use, together with alternative arrangements for bathing and laundry.
"Initial test results are clear but the health and well-being of our residents is of the utmost importance and we will not put them at any risk and as a final precaution the shower areas will therefore remain out of use for a few more days until we receive the formal results from the laboratory.
"We appreciate this incident has been disruptive to residents and on behalf of the City Council I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank residents for their patience and support throughout the whole process. Their safety has and always will be our main priority."
The bacteria can cause Legionnaire's disease if people inhale small droplets of infected water suspended in the air.
Smokers, the elderly and those with a weakened immune system are said to be more at risk of developing the respiratory disease.