Login Register

Smith and Watts score as Lincoln City ease to victory

By Lincolnshire Echo  |  Posted: July 20, 2011

ANOTHER CHANCE: Former Barnet player Danny Kelly played for the Imps in their 2-0 win last night, and will remain with the squad for this evening's game against Brigg.

Comments (0)

LINCOLN CITY strolled to a second pre-season win in four days with a 2-0 win at Barton Town Old Boys.

A goal in each half, from Sam Smith and then Adam Watts, handed City a routine victory against the Northern Counties East League Division One side.

In what was no more than a fitness exercise, the visitors were in control throughout, without creating a plethora of chances.

The Imps lined up with trialists Jason Beardsley at right back, and midfielders Joe Fox and Sam Clucas in the engine room.

Lincoln's first real sight of goal came after eight minutes. Sam Smith picked up the ball on the left, 30 yards out, and cut inside.

After beating his man, he elected to shoot from the edge of the box, only to see his effort deflected over the bar.

James Wilson was the next to try his luck on 15 minutes but the striker, playing in midfield, saw his strike palmed away by Bramley, the ball eventually going out for a corner.

City were dealing well with the aerial threat that Barton were offering while Wilson was putting in an all-action display in midfield.

The Imps were sharp in the tackle and needed to be on a couple of occasions, Josh Gowling eventually getting the better of the rampaging Gareth Barlow who was allowed to venture forward unchallenged.

Gowling was looking sound in the air alongside Hone while John Nutter and Beardsley were rarely tested on the flanks.

City took the lead on 28 minutes when Smith finished a scruffy passage of play with a neat shot into the far corner of the goal from a tight angle, six yards out.

His chance had come after O'Keefe's effort ricocheted off the home defence who then failed to clear the ball properly.

Wilson's clever running was causing Barton problems and after he was upended just outside the box, Nutter decided to take a pop at goal, from the resulting free kick, 25 yards out.

However, the former Gillingham left-back skied the ball well over the bar.

Beardsley showed glimpses of his ability towards the end of the half, twice delivering dangerous balls from the right flank, one with his right foot and one with his left. Both balls, however, were well defended by the hosts.

Lincoln fielded almost a totally different side in the second half with only Wilson, now in attack, keeping his place.

Trialists Danny Kelly and Aristote Guerin-Lakonga began the second 45 minutes, with the former up front and the latter on the right hand side of midfield

Gavin McCallum, so influential in Saturday's win at Ilkeston, was soon in the thick of the action. First, he saw a downward header saved from Tony Sinclair's centre before teeing up trialist Kelly whose shot was blocked.

Alan Power was next to test the goalkeeper, Bramley punching his cross clear under pressure from a plethora of bodies.

McCallum was proving to be a thorn in the side of the home defence and his rasping drive from 30 yards brought the best out of Bramley who palmed the ball around the post.

From the resultant corner, Adam Watts' deft backheel at the near post caught Bramley out at his near post and the visitors were 2-0 up after 53 minutes.

The Imps almost made it three but after Barraclough rounded the keeper his shot from a narrow angle was cleared by a recovering defender.

IMPS (first half): Anyon, Beardsley, Hone, Gowling, Nutter, Fox, O'Keefe, Wilson, Clucas, Smith, Taylor.

IMPS (second half): Lindberg, Sinclair, Nicolau, Kelly, Watts, McCallum, Fuseini, Power, Wilson, Barraclough, Guerin-Lakonga.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters