Login Register

Tamworth 0-0 Boston United - half-time report

By JohnPakey  |  Posted: December 14, 2013

Sam Vince kept Boston United in the game at half-time.

Sam Vince kept Boston United in the game at half-time.

Comments (0)

Boston United and Tamworth both had chances to take the lead at half-time, but their FA Trophy second round clash at the Lamb Ground was 0-0 at the interval.

Teenage goalkeeper Sam Vince was in thick of the action, making two great stops to keep Boston in the game.

At the other end, Ricky Miller and Marc Newsham had chances to open the lead for Boston.

After a testing start Boston found their feet against Tamworth.

The Pilgrims managed to keep hold of possession and work the ball up the field.

Their best chance of an opening came on nine minutes came when Miller hit a cross come shot.

Tamworth dragged themselves back into the game and on 20 minutes Wayne Thomas went close with a header form a corner.

Vince was kept busy just before the half hour mark, with Tamworth forcing two good chances. The teenager stopper reacted quickest though to keep the Lambs at bay.

Boston had a scare on 34 minutes when the referee failed to see Scott Garner control the ball with his arm in the box.

The ball went up the other end and Miller forced Cameron Belford in the Tamworth goal into a save at the near post.

Boston turned the screw and a well-worked move saw Ricky Miller turn and cross the ball, but Liam Marrs smashed the ball over the bar.

Tamworth responded with Richard Peniket running at goal, but his shot on 40 minutes was saved comfortably by Vince.

On 41 minutes Boston had their best chance of the game. The ball was pumped forward and Newsham got past Richards-Everton, but the on-rushing Belford denied him at his feet.

Boston United made two changes from the side which suffered a 1-0 defeat at Guiseley as they lined up to take on Tamworth in the FA Trophy second round at the Lamb Ground.

Teenage goalkeeper Sam Vince was brought in to replace the cup tied Lewis King, while Spencer Weir-Daley made way for Stefan Galinksi as boss Dennis Greene opted for a 3-5-2 formation,

The line-up proved good enough for the Pilgrims last appearance in the FA Trophy when they came back from a goal down to beat Southport 2-1 at Haig Avenue.

A place in the last 16 and £6,000 prize money was up for grabs for the winner.

Boston: Vince; Galinski, Garner, Piergianni; Marrs, Marshall, Ross, Hall, Steer; Miller, Newsham. Subs: Weir-Daley, Fairclough, Milnes, Sansara, Aujla.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters