Login Register

Tamworth 2-0 Boston United - match report

By JohnPakey  |  Posted: December 14, 2013

Boston United boss Dennis Greene

Boston United boss Dennis Greene

Comments (0)

Boston United’s run in the FA Trophy came to an end after a 2-0 defeat at Tamworth.

Second half goals from Andy Todd on 64 minutes and Justin Richards on 79 minutes sealed the win for the Lambs.

Boston matched Tamworth in spells, but they were caught out on the counter.

After a testing start Boston found their feet against Tamworth.

The Pilgrims managed to keep hold of possession and work the ball up the field.

Their best chance of an opening came on nine minutes came when Miller hit a cross come shot.

Tamworth dragged themselves back into the game and on 20 minutes Wayne Thomas went close with a header form a corner.

Vince was kept busy just before the half hour mark, with Tamworth forcing two good chances. The teenager stopper reacted quickest though to keep the Lambs at bay.

Boston had a scare on 34 minutes when the referee failed to see Scott Garner control the ball with his arm in the box.

The ball went up the other end and Miller forced Cameron Belford in the Tamworth goal into a save at the near post.

Boston turned the screw and a well-worked move saw Ricky Miller turn and cross the ball, but Liam Marrs smashed the ball over the bar.

Tamworth responded with Richard Peniket running at goal, but his shot on 40 minutes was saved comfortably by Vince.

On 41 minutes Boston had their best chance of the game. The ball was pumped forward and Newsham got past Richards-Everton, but the on-rushing Belford denied him at his feet.

After the restart Boston started brightly. They pushed down the flanks and flashed several crosses in front of the Tamworth goal.

Tamworth got back in the game and after a sustained period of pressure went close to taking the lead with Richards-Everton heading over on 58 minutes.

Carl Piergianni found himself in the book for a lunging challenge on Haworth. The free-kick on the edge of the area was poorly taken with Haworth dusting himself down to smash an effort well wide on 61 minutes.

Tamworth made the breakthrough on 64 minutes. Breaking on the counter attack Andy Todd raced forward past the stumbling Piergianni and struck a shot which Vince managed to take the sting out of, but could not stop from rolling into the back of the net.

On 72 minutes Spencer Weir-Daley was brought on to replace Newsham who hobbled off the pitch.

There was another change on 76 minutes with Ben Milnes coming on for Jake Hall.

It was not enough to take the sting out of Tamworth, who put the game to bed on 79 minutes.

A flowing move through the middle of the Boston half saw the ball move over to the right flank and Justin Richards struck the ball past the stranded Vince.

Dennis Greene made his final roll of the dice on 81 minutes bringing on Netan Sansara for Miller.

Boston tried to get forward to claim something from the match, but Milnes tame effort was comfortably saved by Belford.

Boston United made two changes from the side which suffered a 1-0 defeat at Guiseley as they lined up to take on Tamworth in the FA Trophy second round at the Lamb Ground.

Teenage goalkeeper Sam Vince was brought in to replace the cup tied Lewis King, while Spencer Weir-Daley made way for Stefan Galinksi as boss Dennis Greene opted for a 3-5-2 formation,

The line-up proved good enough for the Pilgrims last appearance in the FA Trophy when they came back from a goal down to beat Southport 2-1 at Haig Avenue.

A place in the last 16 and £6,000 prize money was up for grabs for the winner.

Boston: Vince; Galinski, Garner, Piergianni; Marrs, Marshall, Ross, Hall, Steer; Miller, Newsham. Subs: Weir-Daley, Fairclough, Milnes, Sansara, Aujla.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters