Login Register

Terrifying sex attack sparks prison review in Lincolnshire

By Boston Target  |  Posted: December 23, 2013

Terrifying sex attack sparks prison review in Lincolnshire
Comments (1)

THE Justice Secretary has ordered a review after an inmate at North Sea Camp prison carried out a terrifying sex attack while on day release.

Chris Grayling has promised a full investigation after Nicky Suddons was found guilty of attempted rape at Lincoln Crown Court.

The convicted rapist was carrying out painting and decorating work on a church property in the centre of Grantham while serving a life sentence at the jail.

David Outterside, prosecuting, told a jury that Suddons left the project during a lunch break and made his way through Grantham to the town’s Queen Elizabeth Park.

He then lay in wait in a wooded area before confronting a middle-aged dog walker as she made her way along a footpath.

Suddons, who was wearing a black mask and armed with a craft knife, stood just three feet from the woman who fell to the ground after becoming tangled in her dog’s lead.

She screamed, ignoring Suddons’ demand not to do so, and then her dog barked and lunged at Suddons who fled the scene.

Two passers-by went to the aid of the woman including a cyclist who set off after Suddons and stopped him near to the park exit.

The man accompanied Suddons back to the scene and despite his denials Suddons was arrested after police carried out a check and discovered he was a convicted sex offender.

Mr Outterside said that Suddons carefully planned the attack taking a balaclava, rubber gloves, a knife and condoms with him to the park.

He told the jury: “What was on his mind was rape. This time he was prepared and was absolutely determined not to be caught. He thought he could get clean away with it but he was caught red-handed.”

Suddons, 26, formerly of Abbey Hey, Manchester, denied attempted rape on June 28 but was convicted by the jury after less than an hour’s deliberations.

He admitted to the jury that he attacked the woman but denied having any sexual intent. He claimed he wanted to “control” her.

The jury was told he was jailed for life at Manchester Crown Court in September 2005 after admitting one rape and six sexual assaults involving attacks on seven women and girls in east Manchester during 2004.

He said he had changed since the earlier offences and was now a different man.

Judge Sean Morris remanded him custody for the preparation of a psychiatric report and an assessment of the danger he poses to women. He will be sentenced at a later date.

In a statement, Justice Secretary Chris Grayling, said: “This is a truly horrifying case and one that needs to be investigated thoroughly.

“I have already asked my officials to review how this scheme is working across the country and for the Chief Inspector of Prisons to look into how temporary release was granted in three cases earlier this year.

“I’m determined to get to the bottom of what went wrong and to take forward any lessons learnt from the reviews I have commissioned. In future when people are released on temporary licence I want to see them tagged so we can better monitor where they are and where they have been.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • dean44  |  December 26 2013, 11:15AM

    this is stupid you have people who have light sentences having to stay in cat b prisons etc and you got prisoners like this in a open prison its wrong totally wrong

    Rate 0