Login Register

Full Time: Altrincham 0 Gainsborough 1

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: December 08, 2012

Comments (0)

A real smash and grab raid at Altrincham saw Gainsborough Trinity return from Cheshire with all three points.

The home side dominated at times, but Trinity defended well and managed a

break-a-way goal from Bradley Barraclough midway through the second

half to earn a valuable win for Steve Housham's side.

 Manager's son Jordan Sinnott was the first to test Trinity keeper Jan

Budtz with a stinging drive from 20 yards after just two minutes.

Seven minutes in, Damian Reeves gave Trinity a warning when he attempted to turn in a Ryan Brooke effort.

It was another ten minutes before another effort worried Budtz. The home

side's Brooke ran 50 yards before shooting, but his effort missed the


The best move of the game came after 22 minutes when Dominic Knowles fed

Darryn Stamp who cut inside his marker and fired a left foot shot wide

of the target. But there was an even closer call for the home keeper

minutes later when Michael Leary let fly from 25 yards but his shot hit

the foot of the post.

Budtz came to Trinity's rescue after 38 minutes when Brooke found Jordan

Sinnott in the area but his shot was saved by the Trinity keeper. On

the stroke of half time, Budtz saved his side again when Jake Moult was

put through and the Trinity man got down well to make the save.

Trinity started the second half well, creating chances with a number of

forrays forward. But the home side hit back, however they were

restricted to long range efforts by a hard working Trinity defence.

Half an hour into the second half, Trinity took the lead. A move down

the left saw Knowles feed substitute Brad Barraclough who showed great

feet to beat two defenders and score in the corner.

A good number of Trinity fans had a scare when James Lawrie's volley

went just wide with 14 minutes to go. Then Watmore's header fell just

short and man of the match Budtz was able to smother. That man Budtz was

at it again five minutes from time when he saved a point-blank header

from Patrick Lacey as Althrincham threw everything at the visitors.

Lacey had a chance to level the game with the last kick but his volley from three yards went harmlessly to, who else, but Budtz.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters