Login Register

Full Time: Gainsborough Trinity 0 Gloucester City 1

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: August 18, 2012

Comments (0)

The stage was set for Trinity.
An unbeaten run in pre-season, brought promise of a glory filled season, but Gloucester obviously did not read the script.
The season may still bring success for the Blues, but today, the visitors appeared to want it just a little more than their hosts as they pulled off a hit and run raid to win this Blue Square Bet North opener 1-0 at the Northolme
Trinity were off to a shakey start, with Gloucester taking a route one approach towards forward Will Morford. But five minutues in, it looked a little more composed as Shane Clarke did well in the middle and found Hawkridge on the left. His low cross was cut out by the Gloucester keeper.
Greg Young, making his league debut for Trinity, connected with a Michael Leary free-kick but his header went just over the bar. 
The visitors took the lead on 15 minutes, when a series of defencive errors allowed Darren Mullins a simple close range shot which gave Budtz no chance. The goal seemed to spark Trinity into life and Connor almoset levelled with a header from a Harkridge cross, but Gloucester keeper Tompson blocked the effort on the line.
Gloucester almost scored a second when Tom Webb put in a low cross from the left but Morford's effort slipped just the wrong side of the post. Darren Mullings was the next City player to go close, after half an hour, but his powerful shot from 18 yards was a good height for Buttz to hold.
On 38 minutes, Clarke and Connor were causing problems for the visitors, with Connor controlling a cross from the left and shooting from close range. However Thompson was well placed to block to keep his side ahead. 
Gloucester were the first to threaten in the second half but Budtz saved a close range header. Godden, on for Ryan Williams at the start of the second half, then fired a free-kick over the bar from 30 yards out.
A good move from Trinity saw Hawkridge chase a ball down the left wing and cross to Connor, but his back post header went harmlessly wide.
Jamie Yates was introduced in place of Terry Hawkridge as Trinity searched for an equaliser.
Twenty minutes into the second half and Godden's control and shot just avoids Connor who was following in.
Trinity continue to press as Yates's corner finds Stamp, but the ball is cleared. Yates then followed in with a cross, but Waterfall's header was too high.
Yates was involved again after 32 minutes with a surging run which saw his low shot almost turned in by Connor. Itt was all Trinity now as Yates again crossed to the far post where Connor headed back to Stamp, but the ball was blocked as Gloucester had their backs to the wall.
A corner for Trinity had Gloucester in trouble but Stamp lashed the ball over at the far post.
With seconds left, Yates again showed his class with a good left-foot shot which was palmed away by Thompson in the City goal.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters