Login Register

Full Time: Gainsborough Trinity 1 Hinkley United 1

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: November 10, 2012

Comments (0)

Gainsborough Trinity will regret missing a host of early chances as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Hinkley United.

The home side face a tricky-looking replay away on Tuesday evening

despite dominating this FA Trophy third qualifying round clash this

afternoon. Darryn Stamp put the Blues into the lead after 36 minutes but

Hinkley hit back through Aaron Cole at the start of the second half.

The game was just three minutes old when Craig Nelthorpe was put through

by Darryn Stamp, who brought a great save from Robert Peet. Stamp headed

over the follow-up as the Blues started the game well. Then a great

cross from Nelthorpe was headed at close range from Stamp but the keeper

got another hand to the ball to sent it over the bar.

Max Harrop reminded Trinity they were in a game with a shot from 18

yards which Budtz dealt with well after 12 minutes. And then, after 23

minutes, Luke Waterfall came to the resue with a saving header after a

dangerous Hinkley cross.

Jonathan Williams, making his first start of the season, showed quick

feet to create a shooting chance after 35 minutes, but the effort

drifted wide. But two minutes later, a dangerous Williams corner wasn't

cleared by Hinkley and Stamp was quick to the ball to hammer it low and

hard to beat the keeper and give his side a 1-0 lead.

The first half came to an end with Greg Young intercepting a Hinkley

ball on the half way line and hitting a corker of a long range shot

which brought a great save from Peet.

Trinity suffered the worst start possible to the second half, when Aaron

Cole was given time to allow the ball to drop in the box and hit a shot

past Budtz. It took another 15 minutes before Trinity could fashion

another chance and it fell to Williams, who's attempted lob beat the

keeper, but drifted just wide. Minutes later, Hawkridge saw the keeper

off his line but his shot, from inside his own half, was a little


With ten minutes remaining, Dominic Roma set off on a great run. Then a

one-two with Knowles saw the ball back at Roma's feet, but his shot just

cleared the Hinkley bar.

Substitute Paul Connor had couple of chances to win the game for

Trinity, but his close range header went straight at the keeper and then

he seemed to duck underneath the ball when it could have been volleyed.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters