Login Register

Full Time: Gainsborough Trinity 2 Barrow 0

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: February 05, 2013

Comments (0)

Gaisborough Trinity's Wembley dream is very much alive and kicking following their 2-0 win over Barrow.
Steve Housham's side became history makers as they out-fought, out-thought and out-played their higher level oposition in a superb display at the Northolme. Goals from Michael Leary and Luke Waterfall secured their passage into the FA Trophy semi-final against Wrexham a week on Saturday, but it was a team performance which will make their manager proud and which sent Barrow back to Cumbria with nothing.
Three minutes in, Terry Hawkridge sliced open the Barrow defence with a ball to Darryn Stamp, but Stamp's cross was over hit and Craig Nelthore

couldn't stretch for it.

 Trinity took the lead on 21 minutes when a free-kick was put in to Stamp at the far post. He knocked it back across the goal where Leary was waiting to tap the ball over the line.

The relentles blue tide brought a second goal on 28 minutes. It was another free-kick by Hawkridge and Luke Waterfall, unmarked headed past Pearson. 

With half time looming, Boye's side-foot shot had beaten a sprawling Budtz, but the ball hit the post and rebounded to the safety of the Trinity keepers

A towering header from Matt Flynn smashed against the Trinity crossbar as Barrow came into the game in the second half. The same player then tried his luck from 25 yards but his powerful shot drifted wide.
Ten minutes into the second half, Hawkridge was again rampaging down the right but his cross was overhit and Yates was unable to take advantage.
Trinity broke again and Jamie Yates twisted and turned but his left foot shot was blocked. A minute later Stamp was through on goal but the high ball was headed straight at the keeper.
With 14 minutes to go, Trinity relieved the pressure with a rare foray forward with Josh Wilde's deep cross just avoiding substitute Shane Clarke.
Chances for Flynn and Skelton had the Trinity fans biting their nails as the seconds ticked by, but the Trinity players defended as one to hold out and earn their place in the semi-final.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters