Login Register

Full Time: Gainsborough Trinity 2 Boston United 2

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: February 02, 2013

Comments (1)

Gainsborough Trinity twice had to come from behind to earn a point against their Lincolnshire rivals Boston United.

The Blues failed to reach the heights of recent weeks as United defied current form to take something from a patchy encounter at the Northolme.

The result was in doubt right up until the the final whistle with Trinity striker Darryn Stamp heading inches wide of the post as the entertainment value increased as the game went on.

Early action was tetchy, but Trinity were first to pose a real threat with a free-kick from Craig Nelthorpe finding Darryn Stamp, who's header fell to Mark Jones, but the new man was surrounded and the ball went out for a goal kick.

The game came life after 24 minutes when a mix-up in the Trinity defence allowed Ben Milnes through to calmly pass the ball into the net from eight yards out as the visitors took the lead against the run of play.

Trinity responded a minute later as Stamp brought down a Nelthorpe cross, but his shot sailed over the bar. The best move of the game followed two minutes later when Trinity worked the ball well between Simon Russell and Terry Hawkridge before Jones sent over a cross which Stamp headed just over, as the visitors enjoyed a 1-0 lead at the break .

Trinity beghan the second half with more purpose and, four minutes in, Luke Waterfall was cursing his luck after seeing his powerful header crash against the bar with Haystead beaten.

Haystead did better with the next attack from the home side. Jamie Yates tricked his way into the arear and his left-foot shot was acrobatically palmed away.

Just after the hour mark, Trinity pulled level, when Danny Hone was put through with just the keeper to beat. The central defender kept his cool to place the ball to the side of Haystead as the Northolme crowd errupted.But they were quiet again after 68 minutes, because Boston re-took the lead, this time Marc Newsham taking advantage of more slack defending.

Trinity hit back a second time when former Pilgrim Jamie Yates, unmarked near the penalty spot, stroked home after a Josh Wilde long throw.

The Blues were almost celebrating again two minutes later, but Connor's effort was somehow saved at point blank range by the Boston keeper.


Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • MjCclarke  |  February 04 2013, 3:15PM

    What's going on here? This is a local Lincolnshire derby reported in the Lincolnshire Echo so I expected to find a balanced report of a Lincolnshire football match.It was far from a one-sided event with Boston taking the lead twice and Trinity leveling twice. Yet this report covers mainly the movements of Trinity. Why such a one sided slant on a Lincolnshire event. It was the same during BBC Radio Lincolnshire's live coverage of the game with Trinity's regular reporter broadcasting the most excited, biased account of a football match I have ever listened to on radio . Well done Boston United for BEING THERE too and bouncing back from a 7-1defeat. And whatever the reports to both teams for their contributions to a battling local derby

    |   2