Login Register

Full Time: Gainsborough Trinity 2 Harrogate Town 0

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: November 24, 2012

Comments (0)

Gainsborough Trinity will be in the hat for Monday's FA Trophy draw thanks to a 2-0 win at the Northolme.
A Terry Hawkridge penalty in the first half and a last-minute strike by Paul Connor gave the Blues a victory which might be seen as harsh on the visitors.
The game began at a good tempo, with both teams looking comfortable on the ball. Trinity tested the Harrogate defence after six minutes when a Terry Hawkridge free-kick towards the far post was dealt with well by the visitors' rear guard.
After ten minutes, Dave Merris hit a shot from distance and Trinity keeper Jan Budtz needed two attempts to make it safe.
Terry Hawkridge lifted the crowd after 23 minutes with the first goal of the game. Danny Hone was fouled in the box at a corner and Hawkridge drilled in a penalty to the keeper's left.
With the rain now falling, Darryn Stamp lifted the gloom with a sensational piece of skill after 26 minutes. A spot of juggling saw him lift the ball over the defender before attempting to lob the keeper, but the effort was just too high.
Then, a chance fell to Dom Knowles who was one on one with the keeper, but Macgillivray hust got his fingertips to the attempted lob. At the other end a brilliant curling free-kick from the impressive Adam Bolder crashed against the post and was cleared.
However quiet the first half was, the second was very different. Harrogate's Alan White was sent off after two minutes and Josh Wilde received his second yellow and was forced into an early bath just five minutes later.
With 12 minutes left, Budtz was forced into a save when Beesley let fly from 20 yards, but Trinity turned defence into attack with Connor and D'Laryea combining well but Connor was caught off-side. 
Three minutes from the end, a dangerous Harrogate corner was flicked on at the near post and a goal-mouth scramble caused some anxious moments for the Trinity supporters.
As the clock ticked down, Harrogate kept pressing and another corner was scrambled away. Then a break by the Blues saw Knowles feed Connor and the striker hit an unstoppable left-foot drive into the top corner in what was the last action of the game. 

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters