Login Register

Full Time: Gainsborough Trinity 2 Wrexham 1 (Wrexham win 4-3 on aggregate)

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: February 23, 2013

Comments (1)

Gainsborough Trinity missed out on their Wembley dream, but it was a close run thing.

It will be Wrexham who take up that final spot at the national stadium,

but the little club from Lincolnshire can be proud of a great FA Trophy


Three Blue Square Bet Premier League sides have been beaten along the way

and the Dragons were very nearly a fourth. But in the end it wasn't to


The game appeared to be heading for a 1-1 draw with Danny Wright and

Terry Hawkridge scoring first half goals for their respective teams. But

then, Trinity captain Michael Leary lit the blue touch paper as his

defelcted goal set up a dramatic final 20 minutes at the Northlome.

Jamie Yates provided the first moment of quality with a run and cross

from the right, but his cross was underhit and the Wrexham keeper got

there first. After 17 minutes,Yates looked to put Darryn Stamp in, this

time from the left, but again, the keeper was just there first.

Trinity's Wembley dream took a blow when the Dragons took the lead after

21 minutes. Leading scorer Danny Wright stepped inside and hit a

left-foot shot from 20 yards which curled expertly around Jan Budtz as

the visitors took a 4-1 aggregate lead.

But the Trinity fans were lifted after 26

minutes when Jamie Yates nodded the ball down for Terry Hawkridge and

the midfielder made no

mistake with a left foot strike which went in off the inside of the

post from ten yards out. It could have been even better for Trinity two

minutes later when Yates' corner was driven across and Stamp met the

ball with a powerful header which flew inches wide.

The opening minutes of the second half saw Trinity go close on two

occasions. First Bradley Barraclough, on for Nelthorpe, and then Darryn

Stamp threatened for the home side.

Paul Connor was introduced for Trinity 25 minutes into the second half and almost had an emmediate impact when his cross from the left was almost headed goalwards by Barraclough. 

The Trinity frontman was in the thick of it again 12 minutes from

time, but his header, from Russell's  cross was saved by Maxwell. 

Ten minutes from time and team skipper Michael Leary lit the blue touch paper with a deflected goal from just inside the area. The volume went up a notch and Trinity had the bit between their teeth as they chased that Wembley dream.

The final minutes saw Barraclough and Stamp have efforts cleared

off the line as Trinity clung on to their dreams. But

Wrexham, and despite a dramatic final seven minutes of injury time, they held on and ensured it would not be an all Lincolnshire final at

the national stadium next month.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • MjCclarke  |  February 25 2013, 2:38PM

    Good effort Trinity, good luck with the BSN play off run in . . .from Boston United supporter, . . . . reality suggests we could be battling to stay up if we don't improve soon!

    |   1