Login Register

Full Time: Gainsborough Trinity 3 Droylsden FC 0

By DMarshall__LE  |  Posted: October 13, 2012

Comments (0)

Three first half goals proved to be enough for Gainsborough Trinity to cruise through this Blue Square North clash at the Northlome.
Droylsden missed a golden

opportunity to take the lead in the first minute. Awful defending allowed the visitors to

roll the ball across the goal line, but it hit the post and was cleared

to safety.

But then the game turned when Trinity took the lead after just seven

minutes. A glorious cross from Craig Nelthorpe was headed home by

Dominic Knowles. Terry Hawkridge, in a roaming role was looking

dangerous and creating openings for Trinity. And it was that threat

which paid off after 23 minutes when a superb run by Nelthorpe into the

box saw the ball run to the blonde winger and he made no mistake with a

well-placed low shot.

Trinity pushed again just after the half hour mark and Dominic Roma

crossed from the right to see his ball met by Liam Henderson who headed

just wide.

At the other end, Droylsden midfielder Rick Lee reminded Trinity they

were in a game when his long-range shot fizzed just wide. 

Trintiy went 3-0 ahead after 37 minutes when a ball into the box landed

at the feet of Henderson, who rolled it wide to Nelthorpe who's shot was

too good for Fielding in the Droylsden goal.

Droylsden pressed again in the second half when Joe Yoffe let fly with a shot from 15 yards which Budtz could only parry. Then, at the other end, Hawkridge was brought down on the edge of the area giving Nelthorpe a free-kick which he curled over the bar.
Knowles then set up Henderson, but his shot from 20 yards drifted wide. Trinity came under pressure 25 minutes into the second half with a series of free-kicks which tested the home defence.
Half an hour into the second half and Luke Waterfall's header struck the bottom of the post as Trinity went for their fourth goal.
The two substitutes Paul Connor and Bradley Barraclough linked up when Connor rolled the ball for his strike partner, but his goal-bound shot struck the leg of Fielding and went over the bar.
It looked like Trinity would get a fourth in injury time when Hawkridge set up Barraclough just five yards out. His shot beat the keeper but also went wide of the post.

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters