Login Register
 °

Tributes paid to Callum Moody-Chapman after friend admits sending him abusive messages on Facebook

By SMorris_LE  |  Posted: April 24, 2014

Tributes paid to Callum Moody-Chapman after friend admits sending him abusive messages on Facebook

Family pay tribute to Callum Moody-Chapman

Comments (0)

The parents of Lincolnshire teenager Callum Moody-Chapman, who died shortly after being sent abusive messages on Facebook, have paid tribute to their son.

It comes after a 17-year-old boy from Holton-le-clay, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted charges of assault and an offence under the Malicious Communication Act.

He was handed an eight-month referral order at Skegness Magistrates' Court on April 15.

Callum, also 17 and from Holton-le-clay, went missing from his home on December 15 last year and his body was found on a beach in Cumbria two days later.

Related content

The exact circumstances surrounding his death are due to be examined during an inquest.

Callum's mum and dad, Nicola Moody and Kevin Chapman, were at court on Tuesday and issued a family statement.

"Callum was a lovely young man, friendly and loving," they said.

"His death has devastated his family and friends and we continue to try and come to terms with what has happened.

"The defendant in this case was a friend of Callum's.

"He has now been dealt with by the court and, whilst we can now try to draw a line under this case, it does not make our grieving for the loss of Callum any easier.

"We would like to thank those people who have provided us with help and support during this very difficult and traumatic period."

Detective Sergeant Jim Hodgson, of Louth CID, said it had been a very traumatic experience for Callum's friends and family.

"His death has been felt throughout the local community of Holton-le-clay and I would like to ask that the local community continue to support the family and friends of Callum," he said.

"This case did involve the use of social media sites to send abusive messages, and can only urge anyone that knew Callum or the defendant to avoid the use of these sites to send messages.

"The family are still grieving and it has not helped them when they are constantly informed of rumour or threats being circulated on social media websites.

"The defendant has pleaded guilty to the offences and he has now been dealt with and, as such, the incident now requires everyone to try and put this behind them and support the family and friends."

Read more from Lincolnshire Echo

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES