So, you've only gone and got yourself a date. Congratulations. But what next?
Has the confidence you mustered to ask her out vanished in a puff of smoke? Has it been replaced with sheer and utter panic about keeping the conversation rolling?
First dates can be stressful and sometimes overwhelming. We’ve all been there, sweaty palms, trembling hands and dreaded silences.
If you’re worried about first date jitters, think about conversation topics before you venture out to help you fill those awkward gaps and make a good impression. If you start one line of discussion that doesn’t seem to be working, don’t panic! Move on to the next subject. Remember you barely know your date so it will take some time to find mutal topics of interest.
And most of all – listen.
• Career. What do they do for a living? Is it their dream job or do they have goals and plans for the future?
• Travel. Where have they been? What inspired them to go there in the first place? Experiences and people they encountered. Would they go back? Where in the world is top of their visit ‘wish list’.
• Activities. What gets their adrenaline pumping? Are they gym-addicts or ski-diving divas, or doe they prefer to embrace a great book, trip to the cinema or theatre?
• Make sure you know what’s going on in the world. Read up on local and national news. Be a little careful with religion or politics. If it turns out you’re at polar ends of the political scale it could end up in a heated debate. But if it seems healthy – go for it
• Family. Asking about their family gives you sneaky look into who they are. Do they have siblings? What do they do? Do they live locally or away?
• Pets. Animal-lovers adore talking about their pets so you’re on to a winner here if you don’t mind listening.
• And don’t forget, everyone loves a compliment.