Login Register
 °

Discussion

“So, England's 23-man squad for Euro 2012 has been announced. What are your thoughts?

Goalkeepers - Joe Hart (Manchester City), Rob Green (West Ham United), John Ruddy (Norwich City)

Defenders - Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders - Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Forwards - Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)

On standby - Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).”

By Barnaby_B Posted: May 16, 2012

10 comments

10 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • eatmygoal  |  May 16 2012, 3:09PM

Best squad available. Possibly Sturridge should have been in and not Downing. Uninspiring to look at but can't really see what else could have been done which says a lot about England.

• Lincolnshep  |  May 16 2012, 7:38PM

I've scored as many goals this season as Stewart Downing - I'm gutted not to be included to be honest.

• FreedomSpeech  |  May 18 2012, 10:20AM

I think Crouch can count himself very unlucky, given his record when compared to that of Carroll. As for the inclusion of John Terry, I would rather our chances were inhibited and he watched it from a sofa back home. The man is a disgrace.

• eatmygoal  |  May 18 2012, 2:00PM

Good point on Crouch, possibly extended to Holt although his lack of international experience counts against him. On the one hand I admire Terry on the football pitch more than almost any other player. On the other I can't think of any player so divisive, even with just his peers. Whatever happens, we can be certain that there will be far less hype this time around. I honestly forgot the Euros were on as had so much focus on the Olympics

• nigelsparky  |  May 18 2012, 2:31PM

Squad is full of too many Championship quality players and players bordering on or past their sell by date. The inclusion of people like the grossly overrated Andy Caroll means that English football will be put back another 20 years, lets hoof the ball up to Caroll eh and then watch the opposition pick up all the knock down's, sounds familiar doesn't it the Croatia games of a few years ago, so easy to defend against. Still that's English football for you, he scores one goal in the cup final and all of a sudden he's a world beater. And quite how someone like John Ruddy even be considered for international football is beyond me,I just hope that Joe hart stays fit, as I can see the headlines now "Ruddy useless".

• eatmygoal  |  May 18 2012, 3:08PM

NigelSparky, who would you have in the squad then that has been missed out? I don't think anyone has been missed out who would massively change our fortunes, including the reserve keeper who will never get on anyway. Who would you have instead of Ruddy, who for my money has had a superb season.

• nigelsparky  |  May 19 2012, 10:52AM

Well eatmygoal, England are suffering with the lack of quality keepers at the moment, Joe Hart aside there is not a great deal to be honest. However Scott Carson would have go into my squad, and I would have had a go at persuading Ben Foster to return to the fold. The problem we have in the English game is generally that clubs will not play a young keeper, preferring to put an old man in goal. Just look at the last world cup, the average age of the other competing nations keepers was 24, England and not for the first time, ended up with a 40 something in goal. All these old men in goal is hindering the progression of young keepers in general. With regards to the outfield players, can someone tell me how Downing has got in ahead of the likes of Lennon, Adam Johnson, and Andy Caroll ahead of Sturridge !! what on earth is going on. All the has beens in there too, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard all good payers in their day, but they have had their day. England never seems to have a plan in place like the other nations do. Germany, Holland, Spain, France, Italy , all put plans in place to bring through their new stars. What do we do time and time again, trot out all the old men. It was even suggested that Scholes should have been bought into the squad. Look at the last world cup we bought back "last ditch" Carragher and he was made to look an idiot. We need an England manager to grow a pair of balls and ignore the clamour of nostalgia bought on by the press and media, and start bringing through the young talent from the very successful under 21 squad into the full national team, just like the nations I have previously mentioned do.

• nigelsparky  |  May 19 2012, 11:10AM

When people talk about records of previous players like Crouch was mentioned earlier, please look at the records that matter, and not the records of friendlies. Crouch's record against the top nations when it matters, quite frankly is nowhere near good enough, and to suggest bringing him back at his age really just emphasises what I have said earlier. The likes of Danny Welbeck, Daniel Sturridge need to be given the chance now!!!! Crouch at 31 is not going to get any better, in fact will only get worse, Welbeck at 21 and Sturridge at 22 will get better than they are now so flipping play them, because if you don't play them they aint going to get better.

• nigelsparky  |  May 19 2012, 11:20AM

I know we have a few injuries with some of the younger players at the moment, but we really do need to start playing the likes of Wilshire, Cleverly, Rodwell, Walker etc. so like Rooney, they will become experienced internationals at quite a young age, otherwise the I fear the 46 years of woe will just continue for the rest of time.

• eatmygoal  |  May 20 2012, 4:27PM

I think all of those players would have been in had they been for and ready to go. Crouch wise, it is often said he only scores in friendlies or against weaker teams, that being the case why does no one else score so many? We need him as a different kind of striker which is the role that Carroll will be playing. Downing wise, he is in there because he will fit the system better and is more disciplined. Not saying it is what I would do necessarily but I can see why he has been picked over other left midfielders.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!