Login Register

Discussion

“A leading vet has spoken out against an “unacceptable” rise in the number of farm animals slaughtered by having their throats cut while fully conscious. The practice is allowed under UK and EU law to satisfy the dietary requirements of Jews and Muslims. According to Professor Bill Reilly, a past-president of the British Veterinary Association, there is evidence that far more animals are being killed this way than is necessary for religious reasons alone and has called for action to curb the slaughter of animals for meat consumption without prior stunning. What do you think?”

By Barnaby_B Posted: May 05, 2012

15 comments

15 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • carny4  |  May 05 2012, 9:09AM

The people of Lincolnshire have been eating halal chicken for years without knowing the difference. Where I work we put halal chicken into pastry made with lard; there is no religious justification for using halal, only a financial one as it's cheaper. Professor Reilly is correct in his findings, it's just that this isn't really news.

• peterke  |  May 05 2012, 11:55AM

This is just another law to keep hammering down the British way of living among all the anti this and anti that laws brought in by Labour and scared to change by the Conservatives, because of such laws British people must work if their is any jobs going, pay their taxes, keep their mouths shut and accept everything Westminster and the EU demand from then. Other countrys like China and Russia have perfected the system, so there will be more tightning up on our way of living unless we do something about it.

• vpire  |  May 05 2012, 1:02PM

Another case of our laws being overlooked because of someone who has an imaginary friend.

• Bob_Major  |  May 05 2012, 3:12PM

The Jews have been doing this for thousands of years without anyone being concerned. It's not news at all. It's just fishing. The Echo, having no real news much to report, throw in an editorial comment and see how many fish want to bite on their bait.

• FreedomSpeech  |  May 07 2012, 10:48AM

Since when was slashing the throats of animals part of "the British way of living" peterke?

• lorenahall  |  May 07 2012, 11:03AM

May be "old news" but that doesn't justify it. Its wrong on every level. Non stunning is very painful. I don't accept inflicting this pain on the animals as acceptable even when for religious reasons despite law saying it is. Non stunning the animals saves money. Wrong.

• debvegandeb  |  October 20 2012, 7:29PM

killing animals is wrong per say, even when stunned their still conscience, just unable to show it, often pigs are still aware when the scolding process begins, just take a look at some vids, and take a look at all the factory farm investigations over the last 6 months, eat meat and your paying for cruelty, are you really happy about any life been taken for your stomach or tough, all creatures value their own lives just llike YOU, its just a shame 99% of the population dont give a damn,

• Sir_Chasm  |  October 22 2012, 2:04PM

Well, that was worth the five month wait, debvegandeb. Thanks.

• M_C_Donald  |  October 23 2012, 1:11PM

Deb Maybe we should all live and eat the way nature intended and that is not being vegan. In future I will run down my cow, slash the tendons on its back legs so it can't run away, and stab it with my spear hopefully puncturing its lungs or heart failing that inflicting enough damage so it bleeds to death. Modern stunning followed by bleeding out is the quickest and most humane way of dispatching an animal. Killing animals for food is not wrong; it is what has to happen for us to eat meat. Veganism is wrong because **** sapiens are omnivores and not evolved to live on a purely vegan diet. You have made a philosophical choice not a natural one.

• Armyoldsweat  |  November 09 2012, 3:32PM

Tired of the traffic? I should say so!! Went from Burgh to Skegness the other day and got stuck in a traffic jam with eight cars all in a row plus a two minute wait at the traffic lights on Roman Bank. It's just not good enough. When's the Town Council going to do something about it pronto?

• foxyboy  |  January 20 2013, 6:32PM

if we all didnt eat meat , we wouldent be able to move for livestock , they do breed you no faster than humans. PLUS THEY WOULD EAT ALL YOUR VEGGIES YOU LOVE.

• Saxon_King  |  February 16 2013, 4:30PM

First of all, the killing of animals in this way; by cutting the throat is a religious whim. It should be outlawed completely, but no politician dare do that because it is part the Westminster view of a fluffy liberal-leftist multicultural society. Secondly humans are omnivores, they always did and always will eat meat. In the ever increasing pressure from overpopulation factory farms, factory food, and supermarkets will always be under pressure to provide ultra-cheap grub to the masses. That pressure requires fast processing of dirt-cheap second grade food products. Rather than have separate lines for Halal and traditionally stun-slaughtered meat, it all goes through one line - Halal. Killing animals by cutting their throats is both painful and distressing for the animals in question, I have been to enough abatoirs to assure you all of this fact. Every abatoir in Britain has the wherewithall to correctly stun and dispatch animals, or birds, in a way that is fast and painless. Yet we still allow the outdated and horrific act of non-stun killing to take place: and saying a prayer over the animals is supposed to make it alright! I applaud the vet for bringing this into the open in this way; and I applaud the Target because all too often the press go along with the silence dictated by government because it is out of step with the way Westminster wish us to change our rules for the sake of a tiny minority of the population. Outlaw it!

• Iftikhar_A  |  March 14 2013, 10:12PM

The Halal slaughter method (along with Shechita which is the name for pretty much the same method used by Jews) is not cruel at all. When the animal's throat is slit, it results in a massive drop in blood pressure causing pretty much instantaneous unconsciousness. As long as the cut is performed correctly the animal will feel a mere instant of pain compared to the intense suffering they can go through in abattoir's with the "normal" slaughter method. The link that has been made between this story and Britain becoming an Islamic State is a bit extreme. The majority of British people are atheist. But it doesn't mean we can't try and make life easier and better for people of all faiths and cultures. All children should be offered a choice. That way Muslims can eat what they want and non-Muslims can eat what they want. Birmingham school says sorry for serving non-Halal meat to Muslim pupils. Council catering staff had wrongly dished up the non-Halal food to Muslim pupils on December 12, but details have only just come to light. On Monday parents received a letter from Craig Jansen, head of the 1,400-pupil secondary school and sixth form, in which he apologised unreservedly for the incident. RESIDENTS across Harrow have vented their anger about proposals to have Halal-only menus in primary schools in the borough. Meat is meat. What does it matter how it's killed? These stupid parents should find other things to whine about. Halal meat is more hygienically processed anyway.The newspaper revealed exclusively how Harrow Council has employed a catering company to only prepare Halal meat – to serve youngsters in Harrow. This is nothing new to my knowledge, Tower Hamlets council been doing Halal meat in schools for at least 3 years or more. There are hundreds of state and church schools where Muslim children are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be opted out as Muslim Academies so that non-Muslim children could enjoy their own meals in their own schools.

• bowler73  |  April 15 2013, 3:09PM

So inflicting a mere 'instant of pain' on an anmal to satisfy some stupid religious whim is ok is it? Well Iftikhar, should anyone decide to cut your throat, I hope you will agree as you lay there with your life ebbing away. Obviously the Muslim Deity is not bothered about cruelty in any form, well I am and if you don't like our distaste of cruelty to any living being, go back to a Muslim country and 'enjoy' it there. We don't want or need you here!

• Lincoln_Fan  |  June 16 2013, 8:47AM

Love the way the Echo's auto 'bad language' filter filters out h o m o in h o m o sapiens. Sigh!

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!