As the temperatures begin to drop Lincolnshire County Council have issued top tips for drivers.
• Check the local and national news for severe weather reports.
• Clear snow or ice off your vehicle.
• Make sure the lights on your car are working.
• Put bright, warm clothes in your vehicle in case you get stuck.
Once you’re moving:
• Reduce your speed and try and drive in the highest gear possible.
• Take extra care at junctions - it can take longer to stop or move off.
• Use dipped headlights when it’s snowing or foggy.
• Keep extra space between you and other vehicles.
If you get in trouble:
• Make sure your vehicle isn’t blocking access for emergency vehicles or gritters.
• If you can, stay with your vehicle until help arrives.
• If you have to get out and walk, wear bright clothing so you can be easily seen.
• Leave a contact number on the inside of the windscreen.
For details of gritting routes or information about winter driving, visit www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/winterweather.
Farmers and contractors wishing to apply to clear snow on roads and/or footways can find an application form at www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/snowclearing.